Greenvale School, one of the first childcare centers in Southwest Virginia, was founded by Mrs. Bertie Clinevell in 1934. The school was established to relieve the plight of children of unemployed parents. It was initially housed in three rooms located in the old railroad YMCA building on Shenandoah Avenue and 12th Street, NW. The rooms’ heat and water were secured for Greenvale by the Salvation Army, while Norfolk and Western, who owned the building, provided the electricity. The present location is a direct descendant of the Salvation Army Nursery School as it was then known, which eventually moved to the old Andrews home known as “Greenvale” on West Campbell Avenue. The first local support for Greenvale came from a small group of women and the Junior League of Roanoke Valley.


Through the years the school moved many times as it outgrew its space. In 1947 the school was accepted as an agency of the United Fund (now the United Way of Roanoke Valley). A building was purchased and the school moved to 1210 Patterson Avenue, SW. In the spring of 1957 the governing body was expanded and became the Board of Trustees. This board approved the purchase of land and the construction of a new building on Westwood Boulevard, NW, which became Greenvale’s new home in September of 1957. The school has remained at that location since that time. Two branch centers were opened during the school’s history, both closing when expansions to the main school building accommodated all students. The most recent expansion, completed in 2001, allowed for the opening of the Get Well Center for mildly ill children. The Get Well Center provides care for children on days when illness prevents them from attending their well-child care or elementary school class.